Stress among information technology professionals is recognized as a key factor affecting their personal lives and health. IT professionals work on average 50-70 hours per week including the weekends. This in turn negatively impacts both their personal and professional lives.
According to surveys, stress levels for IT workers are on the rise.
Causes of Stress at Work
Triggers for IT workplace stress include a lack of exercise, feeling understaffed and job insecurity.
Some of the typical causes of stress at work include:
- Continuous unreasonable performance demands
- Office politics and conflict among staff
- Lack of effective communication
- Lack of job security
- Long working hours
- Excessive time away from home and family
Are You Stressed?
Do you have:
- Sleep difficulties
- Loss of appetite
- Poor concentration or poor memory retention
- Performance dip
- Uncharacteristic errors or missed deadlines
- Anger or tantrums
- Emotional outbursts
If yes, you are stressed!
Stress Management Tips
To lead a stress free personal and professional life, you must try the following tips:
- Plan Your Day. Nothing is more stressful than being unprepared. Plan your day and make a to-do list. This sets a positive tone for the day, which can help you get more managed and less stressful.
- Go get a big cup or a bottle of water. Most of us fail to drink enough water – that’s water – not tea, coffee, coke, ‘sports’ drinks, Red Bull or fruit juice. If you starve your body of water you will function below your best – and you will get stressed.
- Swim and Exercise. Swimming is considered to be the best exercise to release stress. Jump in the pool whenever you get a chance. Head to the gym at least thrice a week.
- Brisk Walk and Self-Talk. Go for a short quick really brisk walk outside. Yes, actually leave the building. Change your environment. Breathe in some fresh air and smell the atmosphere… Trees, rain, flowers, traffic fumes – doesn’t matter – fuel your senses with new things.
- Slow Down. Remember there are a lot of things in life other than money only. Work for a living, don’t live to work!
- Be Thankful to God. Thank God for what he has given you and be content. Don’t throw yourself in DO MORE kind of attitude.
- If you are a professional, it does not mean you don’t have to smile. Don’t fix your eyes on the computer screen all day, look around for reasons to smile.
I am sure you will be able to conquer stress by following these tips just like myself. You will become more productive at work, happier at home.